This was a pretty simple recipe. It was fairly straightforward. I ran out of almond extract after only using one teaspoon, so I substituted vanilla for the other half teaspoon. The logs formed pretty easily. When Dorie said this was a sticky dough, she was not kidding!
I baked it according to directions. Apparently, that was wrong. It needed much more baking time than originally suggested. I took it out, let it cool for 15 minutes, and then tried moving it to the cutting board. Big mistake. It was still pretty raw in the middle. I shoved it back in the oven for a good ten minutes and then took it out again. It looked more golden brown. I let it sit for another fifteen minutes, and then I tried to move it and cut it.
It still did not like being moved, and it proceeded to fall apart. I was too annoyed at that point, so I salvaged the slices that I had and put them and the remaining lumps back on the sheet to put in the oven.
Here's a close-up that is a testament to the under-doneness that is my biscotti.
And this is what it ended up looking like after the third bake. Some pieces were very biscotti-like!
All in all, I enjoyed this cookie. I liked the crunch of the cornmeal that was a problem for some of the other bakers. I would certainly try this again using some other flavor combinations. And, I would bake it for a longer time the first go round.
Thank you to Gretchen of Canela & Comino for picking this recipe. Next up: Pumpkin Muffins chosen by Kelly of Sounding My Barbaric Gulp.
EDITED TO ADD: I made these again. This time I refrigerated the logs overnight, baked them for an additional 12 minutes for the first bake, and added six minutes to the second bake. I also added orange peel with the sugar and some chocolate chips. The extra time made all the difference. Excellent!