Tuesday, November 10, 2009

TWD: All in One Holiday Bundt Cake

Out of order again! This time, instead of the crisp (which I made last week), I made this fabulous bundt cake. This one is a keeper. It was enjoyed by all.

It was easy to put together. There are quite a few components, but none of it was tough to deal with. This recipe calls for pumpkin, pecans, cranberries - fresh and dried, diced apples, and the usual cake ingredient suspects. I had never worked with fresh cranberries before. Really. They were pretty cool looking on the inside. The batter came together quickly in my stand mixer. Then into a greased bundt to bake for about an hour. This is a cake that makes the kitchen smell wonderful.

It came out of the pan with no sticking. Here's where I did a smart thing. I baked the cake the day before I needed it. I wrapped it tightly and left it on the counter so the flavors could ripen and meld a bit. Good call! I made a glaze with maple syrup, powdered sugar, and vanilla. It was a little on the thin side, but I liked it when it had hardened.

Very thin glaze. It made it shiny.
I am not a fan of pumpkin. At all. But this was so good! All of the flavors worked so well together. And since it had so much fruit in it, I was able to convince myself that it was healthy and therefore a good breakfast option.

See, there's the golden pumpkin and cranberries right there. Healthy!

Breakfast of champion. And bakers.

Thanks to Britin of the Nitty Britty for choosing such a great cake. (She made the crisp this week, but check back at her site for the recipe)

17 comments:

Megan said...

Oh, I totally would swipe a piece for my mid-morning coffee break. I haven't made this yet, but it's receiving such positive reviews.

chocolatechic said...

I won't be putting cranberries in mine.

I am making it next week. I'll do the wrapping it up so that the flavors can marry.

Kayte said...

Thanks for the idea of making it a day ahead and wrapping it. I am taking mine up to in-laws for Thanksgiving Dinner, so I am thinking it would be great to have that done even a day before that and glaze the day of...that's why I come here to visit, you have all these great ideas! Your bundt looks wonderful, very much a holiday food!

betty geek said...

What a beautiful cake! I love the thin glaze. Wrapping it up for a day is a great idea . . . will try that!

Karen said...

Looks great! I may make this for Thanksgiving, and a do-ahead is always nice.

Susan said...

Your breakfast cake looks great. I hope you toasted it a bit before having it. :)

Anonymous said...

It looks great! I ate this for breakfast more than once - nothing wrong with that! My husband doesn't like pumpkin either and he liked this; I do like pumpkin, but I couldn't tell it was in there.

Britin said...

it looks fantastic! I can't wait to make mine:)

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Hi Jules,
This looks wonderful. I am new with the Dorie Bakers and just made the cran-apple crisp. Will be making this recipe soon. So nice stopping by your place!

Kindly, ldh

Jessica said...

I ate this for breakfast one morning, and I agree, it's a wonderful breakfast treat! Your bundt looks wonderful.

Katrina said...

Ooh, just seeing your pictures, takes me back--to last week! This cake was great! I might have snitched a little for breakfast one morning. You're right--healthy all the way! ;)

Lainie said...

This looks way tasty. May have to give it a try myself.

Unknown said...

Your cake looks perfect! Loved this cake as well---it was a huge hit here! Smart to let it sit for a day...it was much better on day 2.

Tia said...

very pretty! and i agree about it being a keeper. one of my fAVE TwD RECIPES so far.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Love the glaze on top! That is a great idea to make ahead. I think I am going to make this for Thanksgiving.

Pamela said...

Looks delicious. I didn't get to make the glaze, but I will when the cakes come out of the freezer. Sounds yummy...and perfect for breakfast.

TeaLady said...

Bundt looks delicious. It was much better the next day. Altho, it was good the first day too.

Great job.