Friday, March 26, 2010

The girl and her soup (with help from the boy)

The other day the girl made a list of ingredients for me that she thought would make a good soup. The boy chipped in with his ideas.
Here's the list:

tomato
spinach
lobster
seasoning (salt, pepper, ginger)
cream
peas
carrots
potato

On Wednesday we made her soup. I had to do a few minor substitutions (onions for tomatoes, shrimp for lobster, fat free half and half for cream, and we didn't have peas so I skipped those.) You know what? Her soup was fabulous! It was creamy and fresh tasting, and the ginger gave it just a little bite. I'm going to let her create more soup recipes!

Awesome, Delicious, Supreme Spinach Soup

1 T. olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 c. chicken broth
1 1/2 - 2 pounds spinach, washed
1/2 c. fat free half and half
4 carrots, chopped and par-cooked (I used the microwave)
1 pound potatoes, chopped and par-cooked
1/2 t. powdered ginger
1/4 t. powdered garlic
salt and pepper to taste
cooked shrimp

In a large dutch oven, brown the onions in the olive oil until they are a golden color. This may take a bit. Add the broth to the onions and bring to a simmer. Add the spinach and cook until tender 6-8 minutes. Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until it is creamy. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until everything is warmed through. Serve with shrimp (I served it on the side and let everyone add as they saw fit)

I would have pictures, but I didn't think of it until later, and it's gone. Next time!

2 comments:

Kayte said...

I'm thinking I should make her soup with all the original ingredients! Sounds delish to me! Tell her I think she is on her way to becoming a great cook! I would rather cook than bake any day...which is why I am just now learning to bake.

TDal said...

Very cool! What a great mom to make her adventures so successful!