Tuesday, November 18, 2008

TWD: Arborio Rice Pudding

I have a confession to make. Rice pudding gives me the heebie jeebies. I have no good reason for it. I'm pretty sure I've never eaten it. But the thought of it makes me shudder.

However, my family has no such aversion, so rice pudding it is. I happened to own some Arborio rice from my one and only attempt at risotto. I think I need to try that again. Anyway, there were a few cooking steps. The rice is cooked with water, then drained and cooked further with milk and sugar. That was pretty much the main ingredients and steps. I found out through a comment that Dorie herself made that there was a typo in the book. The rice and milk are supposed to cook for
55 minutes and not the 35 minutes listed in the book. Oooops. Have I mentioned how much I can't stand the smell of boiling milk? No? Ok. I cooked my rice and milk for about 60 minutes. The liquid looked pretty well absorbed.

I decided to make two versions, the black (chocolate) and the white (vanilla). The chocolate version added chopped bittersweet chocolate, the vanilla version called for vanilla extract. Then it was into the fridge for a cool down. Plastic wrap went on top. I am anti-skin even on pudding I refuse to eat.

I dished out a little bit for the three members of the family who will eat rice pudding.



See, this week I got smart and put all the bowls together. Now we'll never know which was the boy's, girl's, or husband's. Bwah ha ha ha.



The verdict was pretty unanimous. Everyone liked the puddings. The rice was cooked enough, and it wasn't soupy as I'd heard from other bloggers. There was a strong preference for the vanilla version. I'm not sure I'll ever make this again, but if I do, it's the vanilla. I think if I'm making pudding again, it's Dorie's chocolate pudding.

I'm not making the next recipe. It's a Thanksgiving Twofer Pie. It's a double layer of pumpkin and pecan pie. First of all, my dislike of pumpkin is well documented, and second, we have a tree nut allergy at our Thanksgiving host's house. I will be making Double Gingersnaps, Cashew Brittle (for our house) and my favorite appetizer ever. Come back to see what it is!

Check out the recipe on Isabelle's blog:
Les Gourmandises d'Isa.

22 comments:

Sabrina said...

Ying Yang Yowy Zowy! Looks really good! I made both vanilla and chocolate too.

Anonymous said...

The chocolate does look! I'm with you on the smell of cooked milk though!

Jodie said...

haha, I love that- it gives me the heebie jeebies, too. I should've tried the chocolate version. I thought 1 T of vanilla was a lot, ours was WAY vanilla-y!

Flourchild said...

That's exactly something my husband would say about this recipe..the heebie jeebie thing! I only had one member of my family who liked it..the rest hated it. I made it extra chocolaty for my man but he hated the rice in it..

Linda said...

very nice job...sounds like your family enjoyed your handiwork! I'm with ya...when it comes to pudding, Dorie's choc pudding is the go-to recipe.

Cathy said...

They look perfect, and all even-steven in the bowls -- surely everybody will be happy with their lot! Good for you for making this despite your own aversion to rice pudding -- what we won't do for the people we love!

Lauren said...

Like it. Looks so yin/yang. Thanks for the info on the chocolate, I too like Dori's pudding. Do try the risotto again, key is keep stirring.

betty geek said...

HAHA! You crack me up! Glad you overcame your rice pudding fears and made this for the fams. It wasn't THAT bad, right?! HAHA!

chocolatechic said...

I love how you dished it up.

I only went with the chocolate one.

Marthe said...

I'm with you on the jeebies from rice pudding! I didn't make it and decided to do a rewind. But since I haven't finished the raisin snails yet, I have to blog about them tomorrow.... :(

Anonymous said...

Too bad we didn't live closer, I would send ours over to your house! They could have two bowls each! Mine looks exactly like yours, so I assume I did it all correctly...just don't like sweet rice...you understand, right? LOL.

See you next week with an alternate recipe that sounds like it has great potential!

Engineer Baker said...

Wow, those look awesome. Glad they were a hit!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Your rice pudding was a success. It looks great--perfectly creamy and yummy.

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your rice pudding looks perfect!

kimberly salem said...

i know you don't like it, but it looks great to me! :) great job!

Tammy said...

I preferred the vanilla as well. It looks so cute with the two types in one bowl!

Peggy said...

I think the general consensus is the vanilla was better which is good that I only made vanilla I guess. But the chocolate sure looks the best of the bunch! Yours looks tasty.

the Spaz said...

Love the yin & yang effect of your presentation! That's what I was going for too, but my pictures didn't really capture it. I share your feelings towards rice pudding - kudos to both of us for making it anyway!

The Food Librarian said...

I love the presentation and what a trooper you are to make something that gives your the heebies.

Happy Thanksgiving too! Your menu sounds fantastic.

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya. The thought of rice pudding makes me feel ill. But it looks as though you pulled it off.

And I have a distinct feeling I know what that appetizer is..=)

Shari said...

Wow, good for you for making it anyways!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Rice pudding certainly is a love-it or hate-it type of food. Way to take one for the team here, Jules! And it's some sort of poetic justice that yours turned out perfectly.
Nancy