Tuesday, February 24, 2009

TWD: Caramel Crunch Bars. And my 100th post!

Woo hoo! Post #100! Woo hoo!

Now on to the cookies. We liked these cookies. We liked them a lot. I will say that I've been making a version of this bar cookie for years and years. It was in my mom's recipe box, and I remember making them as a kid. Mostly because they were incredibly simple to make, but also because they were delicious. Dorie's was slightly more complicated, but for a Dorie recipe, this one was pretty easy and not very dish intensive.



Dorie's recipe isn't far off from my mom's version. This one calls for a little espresso powder and cinnamon in the shortbread, which I thought added a nice flavor note. It also calls for chopped chocolate in the shortbread crust. Dorie likes toffee bits as her finishing touch. We used toasted chopped pecans.



It's very basic construction. A shortbread crust is baked. Chocolate is melted on top. (By the way, don't bother putting it back in the oven to melt. The residual heat will melt the chocolate just fine). Toffee bits are scattered over the melted chocolate. Bingo. Dessert!

You can see the layers pretty clearly here.



I brought these to an Oscar party. All the reviews were favorable. The ones that were left at home were quickly eaten up by the boy, girl, and husband. I could absolutely see myself making these again. I will omit the chocolate from the crust next time.
I didn't think it was necessary. I think that flavor got lost because of the chocolate topping. And while I really enjoyed the crunch of the toffee bits, I'll probably use toasted nuts next time. It counteracts the sweetness of the rest of the bar very nicely. Either this crust recipe or my mom's works very well.

Thanks Whitney of What's Left on the Table for choosing this yummy treat. Next week is a chocolate cake with whiskey soaked raisins. Come back and see what happens!

Edited to add:  I can't help but note that today is Fat Tuesday.  Isn't every TWD a fat Tuesday?

44 comments:

doughmesstic said...

Nice job! And congrats on your 100th post - what a milestone!

Peggy said...

I have always wanted to have an oscar party, have everyone in black tie, and have a red carpet rolled out from my front door to the tv! but I have never done it. I'm glad you got to attend one though! and congrats on your 100th post. That's super!

Nancy said...

I agree that the toffee on top would be better substituted with chopped nuts and the chocolate in the base really wasn't needed. Your bars look great though and I'm sure that everyone at the party enjoyed them!

Anne said...

Congrats on 100 posts! Those look amazing and I think nuts would be perfect on top, too.

threesidesofcrazy said...

These bars turned out perfect!! Congratulations on your 100th post!

Megan said...

So, it's safe to say that everyone liked them? Ha ha. They look perfect, btw.

Maria said...

Yahoo for 100!! Keep the posts coming!! The bars look awesome!

Unknown said...

Nice job! The layering is terrific :)

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

Yay for 100 posts!! I just realized that my 100th was sometime last week and I never even noticed! Oops!
Your bars look divine!!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

farah said...

Well done on your 100th post and on your delicious looking bars! Glad everyone liked them :)

Flourchild said...

100 recipe ..wow! Your bars look fantastic. I thought they tasted great!

Katrina said...

Happy 100! Funny about Fat Tuesday, unfortunately, I live through Fat Monday, Fat Wednesday, Fat Th.....well, you get the picture! ;)
The bars look great!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 100 posts. I'm right behind you...

I'm glad they were a hit. I loved them too.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Ha, Ha! Every Tuesday is indeed Fat Tuesday here in TWD land! Your bars look really good. I agree about leaving out the chocolate in the base layer. I'll just throw it on top next time. The nuts would be good, too, but I dearly love the toffee. Or put the nuts on the bars and just eat the toffee - that works too!
Nancy

chocolatechic said...

I loved the cinnamon in the batter.

I wonder if toffee bits in the batter would be good.

Lauren said...

I'm sure you won for best dessert! Thanks for your comments too. The next 100!!

TeaLady said...

Woo! Hoo! 100 and counting. Great blog. I enjoy reading. Maybe we should change TWD to F(at)TWD. NAH!!! Great job on the cookies.

Anonymous said...

Yes, every Tuesday is fat tuesday. Love it. Your bars look great.

Kristin said...

Great cookies! And congrats on your 100th post!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Congrats on 100 posts!! This made me think of one of my grandmas recipes! Delicious. Yours look great!

Ellen and Tom said...

Haha I just said the same thing about Fat Tuesday on someone else's blog. So true!
Your bars look great, and I love the idea of pecans on top - the toffee made it a bit too sweet for my taste, actually.

Anonymous said...

I think these might be good with toffee and nuts. Yours look great!

Anonymous said...

LOL on the Fat Tuesday/TWD connection! Your bars look great. I am thinking these are prime bake sale material...you think? Really nice photos, too! Did you catch the Hawk/Wolverine game? Very nice!

Tammy said...

congratulations on 100 posts!! I loved these bars too.

Kaitlin said...

Happy 100th post!

And Fat Tuesday indeed - these cookies were amazing but they called for half a pound of butter. Come on, Dorie!

dharmagirl said...

ha--yes, every tuesday now *does* seem like a fat one:) lol. i can highly recommend the pecans on top.

Fit Chick said...

Great looking bars! I agree, no chocolate in the base next time.

Matt's Kitchen said...

Congratulations on your 100th post! I wish I had thought to use chopped nuts instead of toffee on mine. There's something about toffee that makes me feel as if I'm chewing gravel...

Joy said...

Congratulations on your 100th!

Your bars look great - and thanks for the tips and variations. I'll have to try these again!

spike. said...

wow 100 posts! nice work. every tuesday is fat tuesday for me!

Cathy said...

LOL -- yes, every day IS Fat Tuesday around here! I agree -- chocolate in the shortbread is kind of extraneous. We loved these bars as well -- this one definitely a keeper! Yours look great! And congrats on 100 posts!!

Sweet as Coco said...

HA! Yes...every Tuesday IS fat Tuesday at my house!!

Jaime said...

yum! congrats on your 100th post!

Unknown said...

Great job on the bars! Your layers look so perfect! Congrats on your 100th post too :)

Linda said...

LOL --- your fat tuesday comment totally cracked me up! Beautiful bars...and congrats on your 100th post!

Amy said...

I like your addition of nuts on top. I didn't even think about that!

Pamela said...

Congrats to you on your 100th post! And yes, I agree that every Tuesday is a fat one with TWD! The bars look great.

Unknown said...

Congrats on your 100th post and what a post it was! I just loved this recipe. It was so easy and tasty, too.

Susan @ SGCC said...

Congrats on you 100th post! Your bars look fantastic. I might try nuts on top next time too.

Anonymous said...

I love that these are just like your mom's version!!! Congrats on the 100th post!

Anonymous said...

congrats on your 100th post!! i agree that the chocolate in the base did not really come through, so i'll also omit it next time. i love the way your cookies came out, you cut them into little fingers. very munchable. :)

LyB said...

Fat Tuesday, ha! Somehow, I'm not sure the group would have been so popular had it been called "Fat Tuesdays with Dorie". :) Your bars look great, I love the idea of pecans on top.

The Food Librarian said...

Congrats on your 100th post! And these cookies look fantastic. I agree that every Tuesday is Fat tuesdays! :)

Leslie said...

Happy 100th! Your bars look great! I love your self challenge to make something out of a neglected cookbook each week.