Tuesday, February 03, 2009

TWD: World Peace Cookies

So this week we made Dorie's world famous World Peace cookies. (I'll run off on a quick tangent or two. I didn't realize I had the recipe in another cookbook of mine. I have a copy of Paris Sweets. The original recipe, named Korova cookies, is in that book. I really do need to read my cookbooks again. And to further my tangent, my Paris Sweets book and my Baking From my Home to Yours books -- both are signed by Dorie. Tangents done!)

Anyway, back to the cookies. I found these to be a pretty basic, pretty easy to put together chocolate butter cookie. The thing that sets it apart from other cookies? Fleur de sel. That's a fancy name for sea salt. (Oooh! Another tangent opportunity! About seven years ago, we were on a vacation in Vermont. We made a pilgrimage to the King Arthur store. I was in awe. And slightly overwhelmed. I really wanted to buy something, but I didn't know what it should be. I walked away with an assortment of salt. I know. All those choices, and I buy salt. But I finally used the last of the "Fine Sea Salt" up!) These are a "slice and bake" cookie, which is one of my favorite kinds. Easy peasy! The dough was very crumbly, but a bit of mashing around and rolling fixed that right up.

I stored mine in the fridge for a couple of days. I didn't end up with slicing problems the way some other bakers did. I think the fridge time may have helped. I actually got 36 cookies, just like the recipe says.



Here they are! (I hope my tye-dyed background won't go unnoticed. You know, peace cookies. Tye-dye. Ok, so it's not really a theme. I tried.)

I have to say, that while this are a nice, tasty cookie, we didn't go crazy for them. We all liked them, but there are other cookies I would make before I made these again. They don't call to me the way others do. I can actually walk past the cookie jar and not grab one. The husband liked them better the second day.

Thank you to Jessica of
Cookbookhabit for choosing this recipe. I've decided to skip next week's recipe. I love to bake, but I can't rationalize baking more than once a week. And some weeks, quite frankly, I'd like to try a recipe from another cookbook. Blasphemous, I know. On average, I bake three Dorie recipes to one "other" recipe. That sounds fair. Come look. I'll have "other" deliciousness here!

32 comments:

Sabrina said...

I love the tie-dye theme! You are awesome!
Nice job with your cookies. I thought they were good too, but not out of this world.

Maria said...

Great job with the cookies. I really like these!

Kristin said...

I hope you were wearing Birkenstocks while making these. They go perfect with tie-dye!! Great cookies, I'm glad to know the other name they go by. I had not heard of that yet.

Peggy said...

Oh I love the tie-dye. That is so creative. I love the name of the cookies - World Peace. Now if they could only accomplish that! Or maybe we need World Economy Fixer cookies. At any rate, these were good.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

The tie die is totally thematic. Sorry they weren't a bigger hit around there. btw, I'm envious of your signed books! And I totally agree about the baking once a week limit - I can get away with more if I make breakfast items because my husband inhales carbs for breakfast.
Nancy

Susan @ SGCC said...

I love these cookies! They're one of my faves. Yours turned out just great! That tie-dyed background is perfect. Well done!

Jodie said...

These cookies are my new fave, I think. Why haven't I been making them all this time like it looks like everyone else has? :)

Anonymous said...

There is a King Arthur Flour store?! My head would explode! Totally love that tie dye! haha Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Yum, very creative with the tie dye background! glad you enjoyed these. i didn't have any trouble slicing them either.

Unknown said...

I think the tie-dye is groovy!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Love the tiedye! What fun for the pictures. I couldn't walk past the cookie jar without grabbing these. :)

chocolatechic said...

Two cookbooks signed by Dorie....wow!

Jules Someone said...

My mom goes to a lot of food events and buys me cookbooks from the authors. I even have two cookbooks signed by Julia Child. One of them is a Dorie book as well!

Jamie said...

I actually liked them better the second day as well. Yours look great!

G in Berlin said...

I'm skipping next week as well. It's just too sweet for me. I'll be trying a French yogurt raspberry cake.

Jennifer said...

Love the tie dye! These cookies were awesome!

Cathy said...

I'm sorry you didn't love these, but your groovy tie-die background did not go unnoticed! Very cool to have two signed Dorie books!

Anonymous said...

So fun with the tie-dye background...such cleverness over there! Your cookies look great also...what a star! You aren't going to make floating islands???? Really and truly? You are not????

Joy said...

I love the tie-dye - very clever!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Jules, they look delish, even if these were not your favourites.

Tammy said...

your cookies look great. I really loved these and will make them again and again

TeaLady said...

Maybe we should call yours Hippy Cookies. LOVE the tie dye. I get the connection, but then I am just an older hippy. NIce job on the cookies.

Shari said...

I need to use more of my cookbooks too. Looks great!

The Food Librarian said...

Love the tie-dye! These look great! So lucky to have two signed Dorie books!

Unknown said...

I'm jealous of your two signed Dorie books and your King Arthur Flour pilgrimage. Sorry these weren't your favorite - and I know what you mean about wanting to occasionally branch out to non-TWD recipes. I do too, but never get around to it!

farah said...

i didn't like these the first day but the second day, i couldn't put them down! Good job on yours :)

spike. said...

love the tie dye! Nice job on these

Anonymous said...

Love your tie dye! Nice cookies too!

Rachel said...

Hahaha--I love the tye-dye peace tie in! I did have major slicing problems, so its good to know that the fridge time may have helped--I'll try that next time.

Megan said...

Ha ha great background. I wasn't overly thrilled with these either, but at least I tried.

I had Dorie's Paris Sweets in my hand at the bookstore, but I put it back. Grr. I guess I should go back and buy it.

Unknown said...

Great job on the cookies! And thanks for the heads-up on the King Arthur store in Vermont. I live in New England so perhaps I'll have to make a trip to visit.

LyB said...

Your cookies look fantastic and I absolutely love the peace/tie-dye theme. :)