Sunday, April 12, 2009

In which I revisit matzo brei

So, I had some raging discussions on Facebook. World Peace? No. White Sox vs. Cubs? No. Deep dish vs. thin crust? Nope. Savory vs. sweet matzo brei? You bet.

There are two definite camps out there. I fall firmly and completely into the savory camp. Sweet matzo brei is just.... wrong. I just don't understand how anyone can pour syrup or spread jam on fried matzo. Their argument: It's just like French toast. Only instead of bread, you use matzo. I will even admit to using it as a point of reference in my last post. That doesn't mean I would ever eat it that way. So here I have an illustrated version of my savory recipe. So you can all see how delicious it is and join me in the savory camp.

This is matzo in its whole cracker form.

Here it is in a bowl just before I added water.

This is the cubed salami frying with the the onions. I used the word "saute" yesterday when I was talking about it. It's not a saute, it's a fry.

Having forgotten a few photo steps, here is the delicious finished product. It's not a great picture. It doesn't quite convey the deliciousness that is fried matzo.

It's creamy and still slightly crunchy at the same time. The onions and salami add a sweet/salty flavor to the eggs and matzo. This is a recipe that I will make even when it's not Passover. That's how good it is. Go try it. Really.

This isn't a recipe so much as it's a guide.
Julie's Matzo Brei

Some onion, diced.
Some salami, diced. (Note: you have to buy a block of salami and cube it. You can't used sliced from the deli. I would highly recommend Hebrew National)
Matzo
Eggs, one per square of matzo
butter
salt and pepper to taste

Place the matzo in a bowl. Break it into bite sized pieces. Add water and let sit. Meanwhile, melt butter in frying pan. And onion and cook until it's softened. When the matzo is a little soft (about two minutes), drain the water. Add salami to the onion and cook until it's slightly browned. I add the eggs right into the matzo and blend them. Pour the matzo/egg into the frying pan and cook until the eggs are done to your liking. Salt and pepper to taste.
For those of you who like to commit sacrilege, you can omit the onion and salami. Add some cinnamon and vanilla to the eggs/matzo mixture, cook as you would scrambled eggs, and then serve with jam or syrup. But only if you like being wrong.


7 comments:

Julia said...

Oh, I didn't know there were eggs involved! I like the savory idea much better than sweet. Now I need to find some matzo and try this.

27Susans said...

I love matzoh brie and fried salami, but never had them together. Sounds good. I've got family in your area. Poetic license on the kosher dog food. Susan

Megan said...

I hope we can still be friends even though I eat sweet matzo brei.

Someday I hope to try the savory version - because I love salami and eggs.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Oh, Jules, that is my kind of dish. One of my favorite foods from my teens, is fried bologna and eggs. Looks like this. Yum!

Laurin said...

It's been close to 20 years since I've had matzo brei! You've inspired me to introduce it to Dave and the kids.

Maris said...

I love matzo brei but I do admit, I like the sweet version! The more maple syrup, the better!

Adrienne said...

...and then there is me...always has to be different...at our house, we all like it with onions, no salami; however I eat it with salt, pepper AND...maple syrup...sickening, I know, but I LOVE IT! And no one makes it as good as your brother makes it!!