Tuesday, April 02, 2013

TWD: Rustic Potato Loaves

With rustic being the operative word, here.  (On a side note, The Girl, walking by the open cookbook, thought the recipe was for Rusty Potato Lovers.)  No, I'm not sure what that is, either.

Anyway, for not particularly following the recipe, this turned out ok!  I realized that the recipe called for a boiled potato that is then mashed.  Hmmm, I have mashed potatoes in the fridge from the other night!  Upside - they are already made!  Downside - they have seasoning, butter, and sour cream in them.  Plus, they were cold from the fridge, and I had no potato water.  And, I went ahead and baked with them anyway.  It was a LONG rise time.  Long.  The first rise was about 90 minutes.  And it never really rose.  After shaping, and resting it on a floor heating vent because room temperature was pretty cold, it did rise some.  

Instead of misting, I threw some ice cubes into the bottom of my oven.  The loaf baked up pretty flat.  It unrolled some as well.  It smelled pretty good, though.  The verdict?  The taste is really good.  I might try this again with plain potatoes and add my own seasoning.  



My friend, Dawn, at Simply Sweet has an amazing photo and the recipe at her blog.  Go visit!

11 comments:

Cakelaw said...

I like the shape of your loaf - neat! I can't wait to see the drawing of the rusty potato lovers.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Mine unrolled, too! But yours looks perfectly...rustic :)

Dawn said...

Sometimes we just gotta go with the flow and use what we have on hand. Your effort was worth it---the bread looks yummy to me! :)

Thanks for the shout-out!

Have Apron....Will Bake said...

Mine started to unroll a bit too. But it is still tasty bread!

Elaine said...

Mine also unrolled, but tasted really good. Perfectly rustic. I love that you used mashed potatoes with all its flavorings instead of boiling a separate batch for this recipe.

Kayte said...

Looks so great! I have seen several photos and they all look different, each and every one delicious and tempting. I like the idea of baking the bread seam-side up as I have never done that before in all the recipes of bread I have made over the years, that's a first. Need to try that out. Your bread looks marvelous.

gfcelebration said...

We should all remember that the emphasis is on "rustic" and we think your bread looks just great. Ours is still a work in progress. Still chuckling about the rusty potato lovers :-)

Teresa said...

That sounds like a great band name.

It's good to know that leftover mashed potatoes work for this loaf, even if yours did unroll. It made for an interesting shape!

TeaLady said...

Used mashed taters would have been such a time saver. Now we know. I like the idea of adding herbs/flavors.

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

Ooh I bet the butter and sour cream made for a really moist bread! I'm sure it was delicious.

Sweet and That's it said...

I think they are supposed to unroll. I made a few/many breads since the "publishing day" and turned one upside-down (seam down) while baking just to see what would happen and it tore lengthwise... So probably the unrolling is part of its rustical look. ... and yours definitely has a beautiful one.
I loved it with whole wheat and flax seeds and nuts.