Monday, August 18, 2008

TWD: Granola Grabbers

I love cookies.  I love cookies of all kinds.  I have been baking cookies for at least 30 years.  (I started REALLY young)  It's very possible I have a new cookie to add to my top five.  It's not quite my favorite, but it's close.  Michelle, from Bad Girl Baking, I cannot thank you enough for choosing this recipe.

One thing that put it at the top of my list.... I actually had all of the necessary ingredients.  And the list, I might add, was extensive.  Wheat germ, raisins, peanuts (I had honey roasted.  Mmmmm),toasted almonds, coconut*, granola (I used Trader Joe's Low Fat Almond), and, did anyone else notice one ingredient that was missing?  Of course!  Chocolate chips!  How could these cookies not have chocolate chips?  I'm sure it was just an oversight.

It came together very easily in just two bowls!  For Dorie, that's a light recipe.  They needed a bit of coaxing to stay in a ball-like shape.  They baked up golden brown and yummy looking.  We did discover that if you tried to eat one before it cooled, it did tend to fall apart a little.  Lesson learned.

Look at these lovely lovely cooling cookies.



These cookies were so good!  The granola gave it this wonderful crunch.  The sweet and salty of the fruits and nuts blended amazingly well.  These cookies did not last long in my house.  I don't think that the kids would be able to eat them as after-school snacks because I think I would eat them long before then.

Here is a close up of a now cooled, just about to be eaten cookie.  Mmmmm.



And another one.  Just look at all that chunky goodness.



I let the wheat germ and raisins fool me into thinking these were healthy and perhaps ate a few more than I should have.  Ah well.  That just means I'll have to make them again!

*Just a side note.  I HATE coconut.  Hate hate hate it.  You know the scene in the movie, "Big" when he's eating caviar and spits it out?  That's me and coconut.  In this cookie, I didn't mind the coconut.  That's how much I like this cookie.

I think I'm taking a pass on next week's recipe.  Amy of Food, Family, and Fun chose the Chocolate Banded Ice Cream Torte, which looks amazing.  School will just be starting, I'm being a Baking Gal, and my hips are ever widening.  Something has to give.

29 comments:

Sarah said...

Great job and I agree, these are a "health food" cookie!

hoagiefest 2020 said...

JULES! I'm sorry about the nutritional info! If it takes the sting off, a lot of those calories ARE from nuts and wheat germ, so not as terrible as many other cookies! Besides, life's too short, and if you micromanage and worry about all the little things like calories, chances are you'll miss out on the big picture. :)

Anonymous said...

I totally agree that these need chocolate chips - I added some to mine as well. Glad you liked them so much! Yours look delicious.

Engineer Baker said...

Whoa - you actually had *everything*? Lucky you! And I agree - chunky goodness in every bite.

Anne said...

They look great! I love that movie, too. Nice job!

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

Mmmm - honey roasted peanuts....genius!!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

CB said...

Looks like a winner huh? Glad you liked the cookies!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Anonymous said...

I can so see you spitting out that coconut...LOL. Well, if it had been me, I would have been spitting out those chocolate chips.

Your cookies are beautiful and what a fun post...I always like dropping by just for the fun!

Anonymous said...

Good job on your cookies :)

Spike said...

what?! These cookies aren't health food? I must stop lying to myself

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Yummy! Glad you liked the coconut!

Jaime said...

i like to think of them as "healthy" too ;) looks great!

Anonymous said...

you had all the ingredients? i had NONE of them! your cookies look really good, nice job. :)

Anonymous said...

Why didn't I think of chocolate chips? You are totally selling me on the idea.

Linda said...

Let's ignore the butter, and we can pretend these cookies are healthy! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed them... I loved them as well!

Cathy said...

I had the same experience re: the coconut. I HATE cocunut and could not believe that was me in Publix voluntarily buying cocunut, but as my first TWD recipe I decided that I would follow it to the letter. And lo and behold! I liked the coconut in these cookies. Your cookies look awesome!

Debbie said...

Thanks for the welcome to TWD. I wish I had put chocolate chips in mine. Calories--who cares, when you have that many. LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the coconut, and it's saying a lot that you left it in the recipe and still loved the cookies!

Nickki said...

your cookies look so good, and I also class these as a health cookie! I ate for too many of these as well. Next time I'll add some chocolate chips :)

Nickki said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pamela said...

The cookies were very, very good. I've made them before and I wasn't crazy about them. I'm so glad I made them again. This time, I need to get them out of my house! Your pictures look delicious.

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

I want a bite of thoes cookies! I missed baking this week and can see that I need to backtrack and make these!

Shari said...

I'm definitely adding chocolate chips next time I make these! Great post!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

Those cookies look lovely! I am pleased you enjoyed them. Adding chocolate chips sounds like a good idea. I'm wondering how to make an "unhealthy" cookie - perhaps cream added, oats not granola, golden syrup instead of sugar - I'll make a plan, then I'm sure I'll be all praise for them.

Liliana said...

Your cookies look delicious!! Okay, I agree, they are healthy.

Jessie said...

Yes, these cookies are delicious. Glad you liked them, too. Honey roasted peanuts sound great, I'll do that next time!

Kana said...

Having all the ingredients on hand to make these cookies were definately a plus for me!

LyB said...

I didn't mind the coconut either and I'm not much of a coconut fan. I actually think it adds a nice texture to this cookie. Yours look fantastic!

April said...

I agree, these were great cookies. Yours look delicious!