Monday, January 19, 2009

Magazines

For some reason, I've been thinking about cooking magazines today. And for some reason, I've assigned all of my magazines a relationship status. Let me explain.

Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country are my BFFs. I have, literally, every copy of each of these magazines. I love them. I actually use them. I have gotten some of my favorite recipes from these magazines. They are well written, have good recipes and tips, and help me to be a better cook.

Another steady is Cooking Pleasures. It, too, has good recipes. It's a nice standby. Oh, and it has lovely glossy photos. On a side note, they do one thing that just mystifies me. When you subscribe to this magazine, you join their "club". Occasionally, I receive offers to make me a life member. It's around $300. I'll get certain benefits and a subscription for life. One of the benefits is a "gourmet cookware set valued at $370". Here's the thing, if you are a cook, and I am, don't you already have a set of cookware? (All-Clad here) How about if they keep the cookware, and just let me be a life member for free? Anyway....

Bon Appetit and I are friends with benefits. We stray, and then every so often, when they offer me a really cheap subscription, I sign up again. I can't take all the ads, though, which is why I'm not a consistent reader.

I have flirted with Everyday Food, Gourmet, Cooking Light, Eating Well, Saveur, and probably a few others. (At magazines.com you can find most of these magazines)

So, internet, is there a cooking magazine that is your BFF? The one you look forward to every month? Is there one that you had to break up with because of just too many disappointments? Curious readers want to know!

1 comment:

Megan said...

I used to be such a magazine junkie. And then I let the subscriptions expire, and the companies make you this ridiculously cheap offer of the magazine again. I've actually let most of my subscriptions go, because you can always find the recipes on the magazine website (i.e. Gourmet, Bon Appetit, Food and Wine, etc.). Although I really enjoy sitting down with a new issue and reading it leisurely, that almost never happens anymore!