Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Not a TWD. Instead, I show you another cake

I did not make Dorie's Berry Surprise Cake this week. I'll start with the excuses. First off, I'm lazy. There I said it. This was a cake that had four separate components. That sounded fussy to me, and I rarely do fussy. The second reason had to do with many of the other bakers. This was a recipe that just did not do what they wanted it to do. Too many problems with sunken cake and bland cream. Thirdly, have I mentioned that I'm lazy?

Instead of the berry cake, I will show you the cake that I made for my friend Dave's birthday. It just looks fussy.

Here is the unassuming backside. Ah, just look at all those toffee bits smooshed into the coffee whipped cream.


And then, when you turn it around and look at the cut edge.....


Mmmmmm. Six layers of chocolate deliciousness separated by more whipped cream and toffee.



And the beauty of this cake? It just looks fussy. It's an amazingly easy three layer buttermilk chocolate cake, filled with flavored whipped cream and pre-crushed Heath bars.

The trickiest part is cutting the cake layers into more cake layers. And that's not so tricky when you use a long serrated knife and a round metal tart pan bottom.

The cake received raves from the dinner group. I really liked it as well. The cake is moist and wonderful. The whipped cream with flavored just enough to add a little something. And the taste and the crunch of the toffee candy pull the whole thing together.

I didn't post the recipe for various and sundry reasons most having to do with having a husband who is an Intellectual Property Lawyer. It's from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that is OLD. If you'd like the specific recipe, e-mail me, and I'll send it to you. If you'd like to fake it, use your favorite three layer chocolate cake recipe. Whip up some cream with a little instant coffee or espresso. Sprinkle with chopped up Heath bars.

I will definitely be participating next week when the main ingredients are ginger and chocolate. YUM!

18 comments:

Cakelaw said...

This cake looks amazing!!! No wonder it was a hit.

Peggy said...

THAT is a beautiful cake. I'm sure everyone loved it. Great job.

Flourchild said...

Wow what a pretty cake. TWD cake was a hard one this week. I liked the taste but that sucker would not rise.

Sabrina said...

That looks great!!! WOW~!

Megan said...

Darn you! See, this is why it's always better when chocolate is involved.

Anonymous said...

What a great friend you are. The cake looks delicious, I love all the layers.

Stacey said...

Your cake looks delicious!

Fit Chick said...

Great looking cake! I should have passed on Dorie's recipe; lots of work for nothing as spectacular as your cake.

Unknown said...

That cake does look amazing! I am impressed with the layering. How does the tart pan work? I would be interested in trying it. I always have to make my layers even with icing. I would like the recipe :-)

Julia said...

That Dave must be a great guy to deserve a cake like that. :) The pictures made me hungry all over again!

Anonymous said...

OH MY WORD! Julie you have outdone yourself! Thank you SO much for the sweet cupcake earrings for christmas! You...rock! :D

<33 Eunice

Cathy said...

This cake looks AMAZING!!!! I am really wishing I went with something like this instead of the crazy diva egg cake.

Cooking for Comfort by Jennifer said...

HOLY COW! That is AWESOME!

The Food Librarian said...

Oh. My. God. And you said you were lazy? Are you crazy? Looks delicious!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Ha, ha, Jules, my husband is an IP lawyer as well! We've talked a little bit about the subject and I post recipes very very sparingly.

You can say you're lazy, and you can say that cake was easy, but I am not about to believe you. But I do believe it was DELICIOUS!

Nancy

Katrina said...

Whoa! Look at that baby!

threesidesofcrazy said...

WOW this one sounds truly scrumptious!!

TeaLady said...

Oh, I love this. And with the toffee - fantastic. Thanks for this one.