Tuesday, July 07, 2009

TWD: Tribute to Katharine Hepburn Brownies

When I asked my friend if he wanted to try the Katharine Hepburn brownies, he wanted to know if I used real or imitation Katharine Hepburn. Badum ching! Thank you folks, I'll be here all week. But really, he did ask.

According to Dorie, this recipe is a play on the one Miss Hepburn is reported to have used. She changed things up a bit (added coffee, cinnamon, and chocolate chunks) from one of the three or four "orginals" that she found.

On the Dorie fussy scale, this was really low. It was mostly done in one pot. Yeah! It calls for cocoa instead of chocolate. I used my KAF black cocoa. It is nice and rich. Dorie calls for instant coffee to be added. I used my espresso powder. I used almonds in place of the pecans or walnuts because I like them better. I guess I changed things up a bit as well.

I used my glass Pyrex pan, and it worked out just fine. This are a nice, fudgy brownie that was pretty easy to make. The top is a bit crackly, which was a nice contrast.

Here's a close up of the cut side. See how moist and fudgy it is?

Anyone have some milk?

The boy and girl really liked this brownie. Then again, they are not very discerning when it comes to chocolate and baked goods. This was a nice brownie. Now, I've said before that I'm a huge baking snob. Huge. I don't use mixes. Except when it comes to brownies. Ghiradelli makes a great mix. I usually have that on hand when it's brownie time. Though, if I ran out, I would certainly make this one again.

Lisa of Surviving Oz was our guest chooser this week. It's her lovely design that makes up our new logo. Thanks, Lisa!

23 comments:

Marthe said...

Milk would be the perfect drink with these brownies, boy are they good!

isabelle said...

Your brownies look great!
These are soooo good, they're addictive!

Maria said...

MMmmmm Brownies!

Anne said...

Those look great! I agree about Brownie mixes- the Ghiradelli one is the best, but these one pot brownies are hard to beat!

Megan said...

Boxed mix? You? Are you serious? I never would have guessed.

But then again, Ghirardelli does make good chocolate!

Cathy said...

They look perfect! Interesting to see that you used Pyrex too but had no trouble; I used Pyrex, but mine were underbaked. That would have been fine if they were just going to be staying home with me and a spoon, but I had to re-bake them to take to a party. Oh well, still delicious! Glad your family enjoyed them!

betty geek said...

HAHA, I am the same way with baking . . everything from scratch except, on occasion, a batch of boxed brownies. ;)

Yours look fantastic. Yes, a glass of milk, please.

Kayte said...

Well, everyone complains about pyrex for baking except you...I may have to give it a go and just test out something and see what the deal is all the time with this pyrex-non-pyrex debate! Your brownies look like great brownies, so I would think you have a magic way with that pan and those brownies.

foodcreate said...

Lovely ! Brownies's They look so Delicious ! Kate would of Love them!

Thanks for sharing your recipe:)


Welcome~~~
http://foodcreate.com
Join , Post your comments,
and if you can visit me I can visit you:)

Have a wonderful Tuesday:)

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Your brownies are so thick - yummy! Great job! :)

Katrina said...

Yours definitely look dark and fudgy. I went crazy with these and made them four times--each a little different, but they turned out perfect every time. These are my new go-to brownie and I'm not sure I'll ever buy a mix again--but you're right--Ghiradelli are quite a good mix.
Oh and that is too funny about KH IN the brownies. Badah bing--love it!

Cakelaw said...

Yum!!! Your brownies turned out perfectly. Love the nuts.

Tammy said...

I loved this brownie too - I have kep a little bit of it in the freezer, after reading about all these delicious looking brownies today i might have to go and sneak a bit!

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

Your brownies look lovely and makes me wish ours weren't already gone! Brownies are great because they are easy to make and generate very few dishes!

PheMom said...

Those brownies look really great with that deep, dark color. I would love them with almonds too!

margot said...

They look fantastic! I just got two pounds of KA black cocoa powder in the mail today and can't wait to use it. I find box brownies to be a great comfort food.

Peggy said...

I used my glass pan too and it worked fine. You really NEED milk with these they are so chocolatey! Great job on yours.

Hindy said...

I've used the Ghiradelli mix and it's great. Also easy if the kids want to make brownies when I'm not around. But even they said they'd rather make the Hepburn brownies from now on.
Love your photos!

Lainie said...

I'm glad you made (and liked) these. I've made the classic ones a few times, and was wondering how these were.

Pamela said...

Those pictures are so enticing! Great job.

Michele said...

I'm so glad that you enjoyed the brownies!

TeaLady said...

Bring on the ice cream. Then you can eat the brownie with out stopping to drink the milk.

Those look really moist and delicious.

Tami said...

Oh, these brownies look delicious! I'm such a sucker for gooey chocolate brownies ...or cake...or anything chocolate. lol!