Monday, May 12, 2008

Back to the bag 'o veggies

This week's offerings:  ramps, asparagus, sunchokes, spinach, scallions, and sorrel.  Quite a bit of alliteration at the end there.

I'll admit that I threw away last week's ramps and used the fresh ones for dinner on Saturday.  But that's our little secret.  I grilled the asparagus tonight.  It's easy and delicious.  Just toss the asparagus in a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Throw it on the grill.  Roll it around after a few minutes.  After a few minutes more, you take it off.  Mmmmmm.  The boy and girl each ate their requisite bite.  (One chew AND swallow bite is required for every food item on the table)  The husband and I ate the rest.  The salad had a bit of the sunchoke in it.  It's also called a Jerusalem artichoke.  It's actually the bulb of a sunflower variety.  We likened it to jicama.  It's got a nice crunch but very little actual flavor.  The rest of dinner was couscous, strawberries, and marinated chicken skewers with a peanut dipping sauce.  You know, I should have my cookbooks with me when I'm writing.  That way I won't have to keep saying, "I'll post the recipe soon."  The dipping sauce got a, "I like it, but it's not my favorite" from the boy and the girl.  The chicken, however, was a hit.  I think it has to do with the fact that it was served on a stick.  It must have been the novelty of it all.

The boy "graduates" from pre-school tomorrow.  He still has two weeks left of school, so I think he's getting ripped off.  Really we'll just go to the school, he and his classmates will sing for us, and he'll receive a certificate of.... something.  And then we'll all have ice cream, which is, of course, the highlight.  

No comments: