Monday, May 19, 2008

Last Friday's big bag 'o veggies

Here's what we got:  chives, cantaloupe (organic, not so local), crimini mushrooms, rhubarb, carrots, and asparagus.

Here's what I've made.  The aforementioned strawberry rhubarb compote, which did make it to our friend's house.  And even got left there.  I must make more.  I diced the mushrooms and sauteed them in butter and olive oil with (last week's) scallions, and garlic.  It went over pasta and sausage for tonight's dinner.  The girl not only tasted it, she asked for MORE.  I also roasted asparagus for dinner, so the boy ate his requisite bite, actually three bites, and was done.  We had the cantaloupe for breakfast.  That's FOUR items in one day.  We might actually eat all the thinks in the bag this week.  It would be a first.  

A side question, just in case anyone is actually reading this.  Have you ever grown rhubarb?  I think I want to plant some, but I've never done it.  Any thoughts?  Ideas?  Suggestions?  

My first Tuesday with Dorie post is in the works.  Check this space soon!

No comments: