Wednesday, May 14, 2008

In which I steal a recipe and add it to my stash

In my bag 'o veggies last week, there was spinach.  Now, I like spinach.  My husband likes spinach.  The boy will occasionally eat a certain spinach casserole that I make.  The girl does not like spinach.  That is, until now!  I was talking to my friend Lorna, hi Lorna!  She said she had an easy, healthy recipe for creamed spinach.  She was even willing to share it with me.  So in two minutes over the phone, I jotted it down.  It looked easy.  I had all the stuff I needed.  I was in business.

Here it is in a nutshell:  You take half an onion.  In my case it was red.  You can either grate it, or chop it in a fine dice.  Melt about one tablespoon of butter, and then saute the onion.  I cooked it until it was caramelized.  Empty it into your eventual serving bowl.  Add 1/2 cup of water to the pan and bring it to a boil.  Take one pound (or so) of cleaned spinach leaves and add it to the water.  Cook until it's, well, cooked.  Drain the spinach, and here's the secret, keep the liquid it was cooked in.  In your same pot, melt another tablespoon of butter and then add one tablespoon of flour to make a roux.  It's what will help thicken the sauce.  Stir until the butter has absorbed the flour.  Slowly add about a half cup of milk.  Lorna uses skim.  I used a mix of heavy cream and skim because I happened to have a little heavy cream.  Keep stirring.  Then add the liquid from the spinach!  It will make a creamy, spinach-y, delicious sauce.  You can add a little or a lot depending on the texture you like.  Add the onions and spinach back in.  Give it a good stir.  Toss in a little salt and pepper.  Tah dah!  You have delicious creamed spinach.  Lorna also adds a little garlic.  I tossed in about a quarter cup of grated parmesan.  I think there are lots of other options.

Not only did the girl eat it.  She had seconds.  This one is definitely a keeper.  Thanks, Lorna!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to TWD! I like your blog - it's funny! Sounds like we have similar cooking ideas!

Anonymous said...

This sounds really good Jules, I'm going to have to try it! We have spinach as a side dish several days a week one way or another but never creamed. Yum!!

Gina