Sunday, May 25, 2008

Oy

It's the weekend, and it's a holiday weekend to boot.  So that means I'm overwhelmed, running around crazy, and, oh wait, that's every day.

This one's been a doozy.  I started the weekend early on Thursday by getting knocked on my tushy by allergies.  I'm already on Zyrtec, but apparently, my system needs more to get rid of the molds and dust mites.  Bring on the nasal steroid!  (for $80, don't get me started!)  The weather's been gorgeous, so we've been at the park for a good portion of the weekend.  Plus there was the grocery store, t-ball practice, and the 15 mile bike ride I did this morning for good measure.  The one in the city so I had to leave my house at 5:45 to go pick up my sister.  5:45 AM.  I did manage to do some cooking and baking in there as well.

Yesterday, inspiration struck, and I made some fresh lemon/lime/ginger muffins.  They were tasty, but they needed a bit more flavor punch.   


 

I made the mint honey recipe that I found in the comments section of another blog.  It's very minty.  And honey-ey.  I think I need to take out the mint leaves.  (Clearly, my food photography needs some work.) 



 Today, because I had some black bananas, I decided to make a banana cake.  The girl asked for layers.  Layers it is.  I went to my "go-to" cookbook, the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.  Whenever I want a basic recipe, that's the one.  The layers were lovely and moist.  I didn't want a butter frosting, so I went to another cookbook for that recipe.  (I'm blanking on which one)  I should have used more butter and stuck to the BHG book.  The one I made never did quite set up.  I decided to just pour it over the middle and then top layers for a drippy look.  Unfortunately, the layers started to slide a little.  I kept shoving the top one over.  After we cut into it, the frosting in the middle started leaking out.  Not my prettiest effort, but it tasted really good!



Dinner tonight was quiche.  It's one of the easiest things I know how to make.  I take the easy way out and use a refrigerated pie crust.  I saute whatever savories I have on hand.  Tonight was ramps and grey shallots from the big bag 'o veggies.  I added some cubed turkey from the deli.  The crust goes into a 9" greased pie pan.  I layer on some cheese on the bottom.  It keeps the crust from getting too soggy.  Then I pour the sauteed items over the cheese.  Sprinkle on a little more cheese.  Whip up three eggs and 3/4 c. milk.  I use skim.  Add some black pepper to the milk and eggs, and then pour it over the top.  Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until the whole thing is golden brown.  The beauty of this recipe is substitutions.  You can use almost any meat, cheese, or veggie and get really good results.  Add a salad, cherries, rolls, and lopsided cake and you have dinner!

Thank goodness, I only need to bring fruit to our friend's barbecue tomorrow.  Of, course, that's after the girl goes to a birthday party.  And did I mention that the boy is now done with school?  And camp doesn't start until June 23?

Have a wonderful Memorial Day.  Enjoy your friends and families.  Try and remember a little why we have the day off.

No comments: