Friday, May 09, 2008

Ramps, they're not just for parking anymore

Ok, that's an Iowa reference.  For some reason, at the University of Iowa, parking garages are called parking ramps.  And that's how I refer to them this day.


A few comments/e-mails have asked about ramps.  Mostly people weren't sure what they were.  Neither was I until I did some research.  Turns out they are very similar to onion/garlic/leeks.  They have little bulbs at one end and a long leaf that resembles spinach at the other.  All parts of the ramp can be eaten.  Serious Eats, which is a blog I read daily, has had some good information and recipes about ramps.  There is a link here for a recipe, and here for some details about how to use them.  


I know I'll be getting more in my bag 'o veggies today, so I'll tell you what I do with them in the next few days.  I'm thinking a beef broccoli and ramp stir-fry with brown rice for dinner tomorrow.  Mmmmmm.

No comments: