Friday, June 06, 2008

Homemade ice cream rocks

In a wonderful convergence, the planets aligned, and I had all the stuff I needed to make vanilla ice cream.

There was finally space in the freezer for the icy bowl for the machine.  I had vanilla beans.  (more on those in a minute).  I was able to go to Trader Joe's and get the dairy ingredients.  Last night I made the custard.  This morning we assembled the machine, poured in the custard, and let it do its magic.  Mmmmmm.  The kids and I would have eaten the whole thing if I hadn't come to my senses.  It's in the freezer hardening up now.  We'll have it for dessert tonight with some more of the strawberry rhubarb compote that I made.  Mmmmmm.

The recipe was adapted from Cook's Illustrated.  I just don't have the courage to use six egg yolks, two cups of heavy cream, and two cups of whole milk.  I just couldn't do it.  It hurt my heart thinking about it.  Instead, I used three yolks and half and half.  By the way, this is from a 1993 edition of the magazine.  Chris Kimball had a lot more hair.

YUM!

Now, about those vanilla beans.  I found a website that sold beans by the pound.  For a ridiculously low price.  I received the beans the other day.  They aren't the plumpest things around, but they'll do.  I'm going to give half to my sister in law, because I don't think I can use 100 or so beans on my own.  Any suggestions as to what else I can make?  I'll let you know what else I come up with.  Photos with the ice cream and sauce to be edited in later.

No comments: