Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Some meals and musings

We're working our way through the bag 'o veggies.  On Monday night, I made a favorite side dish with a little twist.  It's a warm caramelized onion and lentil salad.  (recipe below)  I  got the recipe from Trader Joe's.  It's delicious and actually good for us.  And, at least the girl will eat it.  This time, I added some of the spinach.  I really liked it!  We also ate some of the salad greens as, you know, salad.

Tonight's dinner contained more salad greens and the turnips.  I never would have believed that I would eat turnips.  I roasted them with green beans, oil, salt and pepper in high heat.  They were great!  I'm pleased that we're discovering new foods (for us) and actually enjoying them.  Again, the girl ate them.  The boy not so much.

What they both discovered that they'll eat is coffee ice cream.  I bit the bullet and went whole hog.  And the whole nine yards and any other cliche I can think of.  I used six egg yolks, one cup of heavy cream, and two cups of whole milk to make this recipe.  Yes, there is certainly a difference in texture.  It was so smooth and silky and wonderful and I could have eaten the whole thing.  I limited us all to one small scoop.  Too much more would not have been good for our hearts.  

I used the strawberries from the big bag for the pound cake last night.  I must say I was a little disappointed texture-wise.  The taste of the cake was wonderful.  It was just a little drier than I would have liked.  It was at the short end of the baking time, and I know my oven temp was right on.  Anyway, with the strawberries and juice and Cool Whip (yes, Cool Whip), it was a wonderful treat.  I have a "go-to" pound cake recipe that I think I'll stick with.

Caramelized Onion and Lentil Salad

8 ounces lentils cooked according to directions (T J's sells this already cooked)
2 large onions, sliced
2 T. butter
1 T. oil
2 T. tomato paste
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
dash cayenne (I usually omit this.  Too spicy for the kids)
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onions low and slow in the butter and oil until they are a beautiful caramel color.  Add the tomato paste and chicken broth. (and in this past recipe, one pound or so of cleaned spinach leaves)  Let the broth cook down at a medium simmer until it is slightly syrupy.  Add the lentils back in.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve hot or warm.

Enjoy!

No comments: