Monday, June 23, 2008

TWD: Mixed Berry Cobbler

Beth of Our Sweet Life chose Dorie's Mixed Berry Cobbler.  I love me a good berry dessert.  I was a little apprehensive because of some of the comments from the other bakers.  I had heard that the topping was bland and too thick among other things.  I used some of that information and was able to turn out a pretty good product.

Dorie's original recipe calls for frozen berries.  I had some frozen and some fresh, so I did a mix.  I added ginger and cinnamon to the crust.  I sprinkled coarse sugar on the crust before baking.  It was thumbs up all around.  I made a half recipe and baked it in two little loaf pans.



It's hard to tell, but that's a 4 x 6 pan.  The crust looks golden brown and it smelled wonderful.   While it was a little thick, it was tasty enough that it didn't bother us.  The berries cooked up nicely, and the juice was thick and syrupy.  It was nice to be able to swish the crust around and pick up more of the berry juices.



We did enjoy it.  I'm not sure that I'm rushing out to make it again, though.  I have another recipe that I like better for for frozen berries.  Though, in the middle of winter, this might be a welcome touch of summer.

Up next week:  Apple Cheddar Scones chosen by Karina of The Floured Apron

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ginger and cinnamon will never lead you wrong. Yum.

kimberly salem said...

ginger sounds great for the crust! it looks yummy:)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I like your rectangular pan...that would be very easy to cut pieces doing it that way...mine were flopping all over the place with a round/pie shape.

Looks tasty.

Engineer Baker said...

Ginger sounds wonderful in this. Beautiful job.

Anonymous said...

The ginger would be great and loaves of cobbler? too cute.

Tammy said...

that looks yummy. Ginger was a great idea

Susie Homemaker said...

Really great job...why didn't I use ginger? Why???

Pamela said...

Nice pictures and pretty cobbler!

Anonymous said...

The loaf pans were such a good idea. Nice.

noskos said...

Looks great!!

LyB said...

That crust looks beautiful! I wouldn't have thought to bake it in a loaf pan, very creative!

Shirlie said...

I love the idea of ginger in your topping. Great job with your TWD! Glad you enjoyed it.

April said...

Yum! looks delicious!~

Anonymous said...

We'd like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details. (Click on my name in the message header link to visit our blog. :)

marae said...

yummm...i love your spice choices. i did pecans and cinnamon and nutmeg in our biscuit. and brown sugar in the fruit. TASTY!

Shari said...

I halved the recipe too, and it was perfect! Ginger and cinnamon would be perfect in the crust!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Lauren said...

nice spice addition to the crust!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

it does look wonderful! glad you enjoyed it.

Cheryl said...

Oh wow...ginger and cinnamon in the crust? YUM! What a great idea!

Susan @ SGCC said...

Great looking cobbler! I wish I had made 2 smaller ones. Then, I could have frozen one for later!

BAKE-EN said...

I felt the same way about this recipe. It was good, but I've found better cobbler recipes that I would reach for first.

Bungalow Barbara said...

Love your loaf pan idea! I hope you'll post your "other recipe" for frozen berries sometime.

Shandy said...

Your cobbler looks absolutely delicious! BTW, I am a scraper too. In fact, I have the most fun finding colorful spatulas to have in my kitchen. =). I have just discovered that I really enjoy the flavor of ginger and I thought your idea of adding ginger to be ingenious. =D

Jaime said...

the addition of ginger sounds nice. i thought the crust was a bit thick, too. looks delicious!