Sunday, June 15, 2008

A new big bag 'o veggies and some other stuff

Whew!  I made it through the weekend.  It was a great one with lots of family and food, but I'm exhausted.  Friday night was a Shabbat service and family dinner of delicious Middle Eastern food.  Saturday started early with photos, and then my nephew's Bar Mitzvah.  He was fabulous, by the way.  A wonderful luncheon followed with some amazing desserts.  Another family dinner Saturday night with Italian food.  This morning was a brunch with some of the best bacon I have ever eaten.  Being Father's Day, dinner tonight was more meat.  I'm not sure that I need to eat for the next few days.  I'm pretty sure I consumed enough calories for the next week or so.

Good thing I have my veggie bag to counteract some of the cholesterol.  This week's offerings:  strawberries, salad mix, lettuce, salad turnips, chives, and spinach.  The salad mix and spinach will be part of dinner tomorrow.  I'm grilling lamb chops, so we'll try the mint honey that I made a few weeks back.  I'm percolating ideas for the rest of the veggies.

The strawberries will be used to top Dorie's poundcake.  It's how it will be a TWD this week.  We're out for dinner on Tuesday, and I can bake it on Monday.  Apparently, it gets better with age.  I'll post more about that on Tuesday.

A report on the banana ice cream -- first of all, there was a huge amount of the mix.  I didn't use it all, and it almost overflowed my ice cream maker.  I used the half and half from the last ice cream attempt also in place of heavy cream.  Again, we could taste the iciness.  I may have to bite the bullet and use the real stuff.

Hope all the dads out there had a nice day.  I'm missing mine something fierce.

No comments: