Monday, June 09, 2008

Some musings and some photos

Apparently we have a new season here in Chicago.  It's monsoon season.  It has rained every day for the past five days.  And it's not just little drizzles, it's RAIN.  And wind, hail, and all the accompanying mayhem.  We planted three little tomato plants and one strawberry plant that have been bruised and battered.  We'll see how they turn out.  This also means that we haven't been able to really play outside in almost a week.  The girl met some friends on Saturday for an ice cream and park play date, and we were barely there a half hour before it started raining.  The new Wii is a blessing and a curse.  It's keeping them occupied, but it keeps them yelling at each other as well.  Last week's t-ball game was rained out and the make-up game was subsequently canceled.  I'm not all that optimistic about tonight's game.

The vanilla ice cream was delicious.  Though, to be honest, it was a little grainy and icy.  I'm sure that's because of the lack of three egg yolks and the half and half substitution for the heavy cream.  The photos don't do it justice.  It's my uneaten bowl (orange) and the bowls of the boy and girl.  They didn't seem to mind the iciness at all.  It is served with some strawberry rhubarb sauce.


My next experiment is Alton Brown's Banana Ice Cream.  It calls for corn syrup, which I think helps with the consistency.  I may substitute some maple syrup for some of the corn syrup.  I think it will be tasty.

I found a local vendor, similar to my delivery vendor, who sells organic fruits and veggies.  And meats and cheese and loads of other stuff, but I went for one reason only.  Rhubarb.  As posted before, I love rhubarb.  He had it on sale this week.  I bought four pounds.  Yup, four.  I'll use one this week and dice and then freeze the other three.  Good thing I have a second freezer.

I'm all ready for my TWD post tomorrow.  And I can't wait to see what the new choice is.

No comments: