Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Where I reach into my big bag 'o veggies

In our last two dinners, I used every last ingredient from my big bag 'o veggies!  Yes, I did!  Woo hoo!  I think it's the first time I've used everything.  We don't need to talk about the parsnips that are still in my vegetable drawer.  

Dinner last night was a big thumbs up from me, an "I'd eat it again" from the husband, and two "I like it, but it's not my favorite" votes from the kids.  I went a little Asian.  I made a cilantro and peanut pesto.  I tossed the cilantro, some sesame oil, a little olive oil, some peanuts, a little lime juice, and some ginger into the blender.  Pressed a button, and, bingo! we have pesto.  I really liked it, but I live cilantro.  I diced the tempeh and marinated it in a little soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil.  I sauteed it in some vegetable oil.  I really liked the crispy outside and the nutty taste.  (thanks for the really helpful suggestions Jayne and Barbara A!)  I served it over spaghetti.  The saute greens were the salad.  Overall, I really enjoyed the taste.  I liked experimenting a little and trying out the new flavors.  I might make it again, but only for me apparently.

Tonight was grilled asparagus, green garlic and creamed spinach, drop biscuits, and grilled steak.  The asparagus was wonderful as always.  I just toss it in olive oil, salt, and pepper and toss it on the grill.  The green garlic was new for me.  I modified my creamed spinach recipe a little.  I used the bulb of the garlic in place of the onions.  I cut up the leaves to add to the spinach leaves.  I thought it came out really well.  Nice garlic flavor without being overpowering.  The drop biscuits came from the web.  Simple simple recipe.  And they were warm and tasty.  

I have a plug for a local spice vendor.  The Spice House in Evanston, IL is amazing.  That's where I got the rub for the steak.  Tonight we used Ukrainian Village seasoning.  It's a great blend for so many foods.  Alas, there are no freebies for my plug.  It's just a great place with wonderful fresh spices and herbs.

I'll be a little MIA this weekend.  Big family goings on.  I'll tell you about the veggies when I can.  And probably use them the very same way.

No comments: