Sunday, June 29, 2008

What to do with the big bag 'o veggies and other random thoughts

Friday's big bag was another BIG bag.  Lots of leafy greens again this week.  We have collards.  Almost every recipe I've seen contains bacon.  I think it's a law that you must cook collards with bacon.  Who am I to break the law?  Garlic scapes look like curly ribbon without the ridges.  Not sure what to do with those.  Maybe I'll cook them with the collards and bacon.  We have more lettuce and curly kale this week.  I'm not sure how curly kale is different from regular kale.  I'm pretty sure that one won't get eaten, however.  More cilantro!  That's a big yum for me.  I think I'll make more pesto and freeze it in an ice cube tray.  Since I'm the only one who really liked it, I'll make individual servings.  Last in our big bag were beautiful strawberries.  We've just been rinsing those and eating them out of hand.

I haven't done too much cooking in the past week.  Lots of nights out (tennis, t-ball, dinner with the girls, my anniversary --10 years, woo hoo!)  With the holiday weekend coming, there won't be a whole lot of cooking coming up.  The bag 'o veggies was to be delivered on Tuesday instead of Friday, so this week we cancelled.  It'll give me a chance to catch up.

A friend of ours made Alton Brown's smoker.  (Can't find the link.  Sorry!)  Every year, he makes pulled pork from a pork shoulder.  I made a deal with him this week.  I'll go to Costco and get the pork if he'll smoke it for a BBQ in the 4th.  Mmmmmm.  Smoked pork.  Mmmmm.

I made some strawberry rhubarb ginger ice cream the other day.  It was pretty tasty.  If I was to make it again, I'd make a few changes to the recipe.  But isn't that how things work?  We've figured out a rotation for choosing ice cream flavors to make.  Since I'm the cook, I chose first.  The girl gets the next choice.  Hers is chocolate ice cream with crumbled ginger snaps in it.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Monsoon/hurricane season is back in Chicago.  To celebrate our anniversary, the husband and I stayed at the hotel where we were married in Evanston.  There was an art fair there this weekend.  A freak storm blew in and injured six people and destroyed lots and lots of art.  At least one of the potters lost everything.  Ouch.

I'll be back on Tuesday for my TWD post.  Until then.

No comments: