Monday, June 30, 2008

TWD: Apple Cheddar Scones

We were pretty excited at my house when Karina of The Floured Apron chose these scones.  First off, I really enjoy a good scone.  I make them occasionally, but now I have even more reason to make them more often.  My husband is a New England boy.  He tells me whenever I have apple pie that I should add a nice slice of cheddar to it.  I've seen him order an apple and cheddar omelette.  I knew this was right up his alley.

These came together incredibly easily.  I actually had all the ingredients on hand.  That included buttermilk and dried apples.  I chose to make the drop version because, quite frankly, it was easy.  I would say my only mistake was using a pre-grated cheddar cheese.  I have some eight year old cheddar that I thought about grating up.  But then I thought again.  It's too good for cooking.  Next go round, though, I'll use a stronger flavored cheddar.  And believe me, there will be a next go round.

The apples on the surface did brown a little quickly, but I liked the toasty taste.  They are best eaten the day they are made, but they were still pretty respectable two days later out of the toaster oven.  

Here it is just out of the oven.  Mmmmmm.

  

Here it is plated and seemingly upside down.  I can't get the Image Browser to cooperate with me.



Well, from any angle, it was delicious!  (See how I worked that in.  Made my mistake seem clever)

Next week is perfect for this weekend's festivities.  We'll be making and serving up Double Crusted Blueberry Pie.  Thanks Amy from South in Your Mouth for the choice.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

These scones look great!

Anonymous said...

Oh, those look delicious. And, like you, "believe me there will be a next go around...." I liked the toasty apple bits, too.

Anonymous said...

Very clever. They look great.

The Kitchen Vixen said...

they look so yummy! I'm gonna have give these a go after all;)

Susie Homemaker said...

Isn't it funny the ingredients we save for "something better" ?? I bet that cheese will be great - and this go round yours look really yummy!

Engineer Baker said...

Haha - very clever of you, turning that photo thing to your advantage. Tricky tricky!

marae said...

they look fabulous!! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Your scones look great! I am beginning to think I am just not a scone person. Great pics, too!

Tammy said...

you scones look great! Not sure i like the sound of a cheese and apple ommelette though!!!

Pamela said...

The scones look great...even upside down! : )

Liliana said...

Gread looking scones! I am going to make the drop version the next time. Clever with the photo - no one would have noticed.

Prudy said...

I agree- these were delicious and super super easy. YOurs look lovely.

LyB said...

These definitely benefit from a sharp cheddar. I used an aged cheddar and it was so worth it. Your scones look beautifully golden and delicious!

Anonymous said...

Yummm... Looks like yours turned out beautifully!

Anonymous said...

Tammy, don't knock the apple and cheddar omelette until you've tried it. There's something about the combination of sweet and sharp, not to mention the creaminess of a good cheddar... Oh dear. I seem to have made myself hungry.

(And yes, I am 'the husband.')

BAKE-EN said...

I'm a new englander too, and I was really excited about the cheese apple combo :) Great post, I love how clever you are!

Christine said...

I think I will use a stronger cheddar next time too. Scones look delicious!

Anonymous said...

My husband was down with the cheddar, but he wants bacon. Must be the Southern apple. ;)

The Queen of Quite a Lot said...

They look great. I'm going to use a sharper cheddar next time too.

Anne said...

Those look great, way to go!

Shari said...

They are good warmed up a day or two later, if they last that long! An old cheddar in this would be delicious!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Jaime said...

you're right, from any angle they look great! :)

Jacque said...

Mmm, they look terrific. I would have never known it was upside down, lol.

Mari said...

I would have never thought to combine apples an cheddar in a scone before TWD, and I loved how it turned out!

Anonymous said...

Wow... those scones really look delicious! So rustic! Dorie would be proud!

And I've totally got to try apple pie with cheddar!